Gov’t Offices on Parliamentary Avenue Remain Closed

Spread the love

Government offices along Parliamentary Avenue are still closed following Tuesday’s bomb explosions.

One of the bombs went off at the Central Police Station-CPS, Kampala along Buganda Road while the second went off at Raja Chambers and Jubilee Insurance Building along Parliamentary Avenue.

When Uganda Radio Network visited the area on Wednesday morning, security personnel had cordoned off part of Parliamentary Avenue from National Theatre.

Several government institutions which include Parliament, Uganda Prisons Service Headquarters, Ministry of Lands, Ministry of Education, the Inspectorate of Government, Kampala Capital City Authority-KCCA and the Ministry of Information Communication and Technology and National Guidance were closed. 

The spokesperson of Prisons Frank Baine says their offices are only accessible to staff with Identity cards.

“We don’t know when those who have cordoned off the area shall permit the public to enter. We are still waiting” said Baine.      

Simon Jamba, the Spokesperson of the Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs says that they were advised to close to the public until investigations at the crime scene are completed.

The Inspector of General of Government office at Jubilee House is also closed to both staff and the public. Ali Muniirah, the spokesperson of the Inspectorate of Government says that they were ordered to close as investigations continue.

“No one can access it because it’s a scene of the crime. The police are there doing their work, they shall advise us. We are still recovering from the incident, we haven’t met yet, security will guide us.” said Muniira.

The Kampala Capital City Authority-KCCA offices, clinic, public library and City Hall Court were also closed until further notice. Although KCCA is not within the cordoned-off area, the KCCA Spokesperson Juliet Bukirwa Muwanguzi says they were advised to close.

“We shall not be opening today, we were advised to close and so we are still waiting for further guidance,” said Bukirwa.

The Kampala Metropolitan Deputy Police Spokesperson, Luke Owoyesigyire says security is still carrying out investigations at the scene. He says that the police shall communicate when the road will be reopened and offices accessible to the public.


Related posts

Leave a Comment